Research Carrels/Group Study Rooms
The Library has private Research Carrels available for Southern University faculty members and graduate students who are actively engaged in writing a thesis, dissertation or research.
Application for use of a carrel space may be made in the Office of the Dean of Libraries, 2nd Floor, Monday – Friday, 8AM – 5PM.
Group Study Rooms
Group Study Rooms are located on the 1st and 2nd floor of the library. Group Study Rooms may be reserved for either four to eight persons depending on study room availability. The maximum reservation time for study rooms is a maximum of 2 hours per group.
To reserve a room on the 1st floor, of the library, you will need to sign in at the Circulation Desk.
To reserve a room on the 2nd foor, of the library, you will need to sign in at the information desk in the ITC lab.
IDs and Signatures
All patrons who reserve a study room must leave a valid ID at the Circulation Desk 1st floor or the ITC desk 2nd floor. This must be done each time a reservation is made.
Rules of Conduct
Persons found eating, littering, engaging in loud, disruptive conversation or conduct, defacing library property, or otherwise acting inappropriately and/or irresponsibly while using a study room will be required to leave the library immediately and may be permanently barred from all future study room usage.
- Library material should not be left in study rooms after use.
- Furniture should not be moved within study room or between other rooms.
- Library staff may inspect study rooms at any time to ensure that regulations are being followed.
- Unattended personal property left in study rooms is done so at owner’s risk. Personal items left behind will be deposited into the Lost & Found at the Circulation Desk.
- Patrons are prohibited from bringing in food, eating, sleeping, smoking or using any other tobacco products in the study rooms.