This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.

I agree

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. When should I contact the Student Advocate/Ombudsman Office?
  • Conflict
  • Conflict/Resolution
  • Confidentiality
  1. What’s an “Ombuds/Student Advocate”?
  • The term “Ombuds” is broadly understood to refer to a person who, acting in an impartial capacity, is appointed to help resolve complaints.
  1. What is the University Student Advocate/ Ombuds empowered to do?

The Student Advocate/Ombuds can:

  • Listen to you and discuss your concerns
  • Answer your questions or refer you to someone who can.
  • Explain how University policies or procedures work.
  • Help you identify options or obtain information to help you resolve a problem.
  • Refer you to the appropriate office should you wish to file a formal complaint.
  • Identify trends or patterns of complaints or problems that might be systemic.
  • Provide other forms od assistance to help you resolve a problem informally.

The Student Advocate/Ombuds cannot:

  • Make or change University decisions, rules, or policies.
  • Set aside a decision or supersede the authority of another University Official.
  • Duplicate an existing grievance procedure.
  • Provide legal advice or act as substitute for union representation.
  • Accept notice of claims against the University. (The Ombuds is expressly not authorized to do so.)